Wildlife is one of the more challenging subjects that nature photographers can photograph. Interesting wildlife subjects are often far off and fast moving, which make practicing your settings and technique hit or miss. But what if you had the chance to practice this type of photography in a more controlled environment, where super long lenses are not required? Well, your chances for success are greatly improved, and you'll gain valuable experience. That's just the type of special photo shoot opportunity we'll take advantage of at the Carolina Raptor Center in Huntersville, NC, not far from Charlotte. You'll photograph side by side with Mary Louise as she gives you guidance and tips. The Carolina Raptor Center (CRC) cares for and rehabilitates orphaned and injured raptors including falcons, hawks, owls, eagles and more. With the autumn timing of this event, we should get some fall color as a backdrop for our bird portraits in the Raptor Center's woodland setting. We may even get some birds in flight opportunities. This workshop is broken into 4 parts:
1) Equipment and gear (online / zoom based session Thursday October 6, 6:30 - 8:30 pm)
2) Settings and shooting technique ((online / zoom based session Tuesday November 1, 6:30 - 8:30 pm)
3) Hands-on photo shoot at the Carolina Raptor Center (Saturday November 12, 8 - 11 am)
Join Mary Louise for brunch afterwards in Huntersville (optional)
4) Image review and feedback session (online / zoom based session Monday November 28, 6:30 - 8 pm)
Note: The online / zoom based sessions will be recorded, so you can review the recording and email questions if you can't make the live session.
This workshop is for the intermediate photographer interested in expanding their skills into wildlife / action photography. An understanding of how to shoot in shutter priority or manual mode is required, as is a basic understanding of how aperture, shutter speed and ISO impact exposure.
This workshop is limited to ONLY 4 Participants. Price includes admission to the CRC's PhotoWild special event where we will be part of a group of 25 photographers.
Suggested lodging options include:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Charlotte Northlake, NC
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Charlotte Huntersville
- Hampton Inn & Suites Charlotte Huntersville
- Comfort Suites Lake Norman - Huntersville
Brunch location: Killington's Restaurant and Pub, 10010C Rose Commons Dr, Huntersville, NC 28078